Tuesday 17 May 2016

Meet sewing's famous fans

See the celebrity stitchers...

Kate Winslet
The actor had a hands-on role with the props for The Dressmaker, the 2015 film about a seamstress who transforms people's lives in a small Australian town. 'I really had to learn to use that sewing machine,' she says. 'In fact, the one we used in the film was mine, the one that I had learnt on, and I took it over to Australia so that we could use it in the film,' she told the Sydney Morning Herald, adding: 'I've always wanted to be one of those mums that could knock up cute little curtains. Or make a sweet little pair of pants of some kind, and I can now.'

Judi Dench
Dame Judi is mad keen on needlework, and isn't averse to tackling hard-hitting designs. When she appeared in Amy's View by David Hare in 1997, she gave him a cushion embroidered with the words: 'F*ck 'em, f*ck 'em, f*ck 'em, f*ck 'em', a motto which referred to the theatre critics.

Kirstie Allsopp
The TV presenter loves to keep her hands busy and bewails the decline in craft skills: 'So many mums had sewing machines when I was growing up but as a nation we've lost the ability to mend and create things ourselves. Rediscovering sewing [for her TV programme Kirstie's Homemade Home] was like riding a bicycle.'

Eva Longoria
Bringing a note of glamour to being a domestic goddess, Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria reveals how she spends her time when she's not gracing the red carpet in Cannes:
'I'm a 1950s housewife. I love baking. I love sewing. Being home with Tony. My mother was like that. Always took care of her husband. I always admired and wanted to do that.'

Venus Williams
Sister Serena explains: 'When [Venus] was younger, she would make clothes for her dolls out of her old clothing. But now she has started to design outfits to show off her model-like figure.' And her on-court outfits have attracted criticism.
'I have a great imagination,' Venus added in the sisters' interview with Tennis Magazine, 'and I always like to do different things.'

Chris Martin
The Coldplay frontman has shared some of the band's secrets of looking good on stage - and team bonding.
'Making clothes together in our studio makes us feel complete. We probably sound like a group of grannies in a knitting circle but it's the truth and it gives us some control over our visual identity,' the Mirror quoted him as saying. And he and his bandmates are always on the lookout for a sewing opportunity while they're in hotels on tour: 'We see if they have a sewing kit in the amenities drawer in case we feel inspired,' he said.

Tilda Swinton
The quirkily stylish actress, who played the White Witch in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe has been seen in some striking outfits on the red carpet. She says she likes wearing handmade clothes 'because I really appreciate the work that goes into them'. As a teenager, Tilda experimented with designing her own clothes and when she unearthed across a dress she'd made back then, she ended up wearing it. 'I put it on for a bit of a laugh, but I ended up enjoying wearing it - though I didn't look in many mirrors. It was hand done, because I had never learned how to operate an electric sewing machine.'

Miranda Richardson
During breaks in shooting The Young Victoria Miranda Richardson discovered a great way to stay occupied. ‘There were long gaps between filming and I was bored. I spent my time cross stitching,' she told the Daily Mail. ‘But I made it fun by stitching naughty words into handkerchiefs.'

Tracey Emin
The artist revealed in The Lady that sewing gives her a sense of purpose, and confided that it takes her mind off masturbation. Well, it certainly keeps your hands busy...
'When I think about my work, and my sewing, and about my blankets, I know what I'm doing,' she says. 'I can cut out a sentence in felt in five minutes; it would take most people that amount of time just to cut out one letter.'

Lily Allen
Following the recent opening of her vintage clothes shop, Lucy in Disguise, in central London, it seems the singer has been inspired by her fabric-filled surroundings. While creating her new fashion label with her sister Sarah, she’s developing her sewing skills. ‘I'm embroidering,’ she told The Sun. ‘I'm actually in the process of making cushions'.

No comments:

Post a Comment