Wednesday 19 October 2016

How to knit a triangle (that's a neckerchief, or a Hilda-Ogden-homage headscarf)

As a knitter, I'm a bit crap. I like instant gratification and get confused following complicated patterns. (Having said that, I haven't yet followed one that's that complicated.) It's safe to say, I like to keep it simple when it comes to knitting.

So I'm happy to report that I have new creative inspiration for a manageable project for me. It came via the That's Not My Age blog, where Alyson posted on a knitted neckerchief range by knitwear designer Jo Gordon. She's a Scottish designer who produces gorgeous machine-knitted items – including her neckerchief/headscarf.

It's gorgeous and as I looked at it, I thought: 'what a brilliant shape, and a new headgear idea...and a simple shape...a simple shape that I could knit...a simple triangle to wear around the neck or on my head.'

So, five minutes later, I've cast on. Fuchsia-pink fine angora yarn from my stash, so it's label-less, and 7.5mm needles. A quick online check reveals how to knit a triangle from the wide end: cast on stitches to reach your desired width (I wrapped my tape measure around my head and pretended to tie it in front: 70cm - I have a big head). Then k1, k2 tog at each end of every row, to decrease the piece to a triangle shape.

I'm sure I'll wear my scarf around my neck tied at the back, but surely the headscarf is due for a revival, as an alternative to the ubiquitous beanie-with-big-pompom? How about in homage to Hilda Ogden? (I won't be sporting rollers with mine, though.)


Three days later, it's finished. As I predicted, I won't be wearing it headscarf style... Unless it's really cold...

No comments:

Post a Comment