Saturday 14 October 2017

Finally finished: longstitch kit

About two years ago I sent off for a longstitch kit; I fancied following a pattern for once. I've done some cross-stitch before, both word-based works, and both designed by me. (I'm talking about 'Fuck off, moths' and 'Moho sweet moho'.).

However, it's quite difficult to find contemporary embroidery patterns, by which I mean no cutesy fluffy animals, ugly flowers, ladies in kimono or whimsical landscapes. I wanted something bold and colourful. And I found it. And now it's finished.

It probably took no longer than about six hours in total, but I kept setting it aside.

In terms of technique it was really easy: like colouring in with yarn.

The kit (by Vervaco, £25 from Stitcher) contained the printed Aida fabric, plus short lengths of yarn (and I have so much left). It's designed as a cushion cover, but I think I'm going to frame it. My only criticism would be that some of the printed lines were a little off-centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment