Thursday 5 January 2017

Freezing fun: making ice balls, lanterns and tealight holders

The morning after...
Mortals make plans and the gods laugh... Well, that was disappointing! The water in the tins didn't freeze at all, and the rest of it froze patchily, so I've ended up with a ball that looks like a dog's got hold of it, and a rather nice ice wreath...


My previous attempts were more successful. Here's one I made earlier...


Yesterday
Full of cold, I decided to beat the bareness left behind when you take down the Christmas decorations on Twelfth Night (is that January 5th or 6th? Find out here) and decorate the garden overnight just with water.

I filled a random selection of containers grabbed from around the house as the sun started to go down.

Tomorrow morning, see how they all turned out!

Clockwise from top left: a hand cream tin. I'll leave the ice in and pop a tealight on top. A plastic bag inside an empty tin can. Once the water's frozen, I'll pull the bag out, pull it away from the ice and add a tealight. Hopefully there will be ice up the sides and a space in the middle, to make an ice lantern. With the two plastic takeaway containers, I'll twist them to free the ice, then add tealights. And with the yellow and red plastic half-balls, they're filled with water as is the container they're in. When it's all frozen, I'll remove the ball halves, and stick the two ice hemispheres together with water to make an ice ball, and plop some tealights into the dents they leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment