Thursday 18 August 2016

Changing colour: customising clothes


Dyeing brings a new look, and new life, to clothes. I loved the shape of the linen top in the middle – A-line, three-pleat neckline, patch pockets – but I loathed the colour. Pale pink is possibly my least favourite colour.

Having bought my Dylon Machine Dye
in Jeans Blue and read the super-easy instructions, I realised there was enough dye to do 500g of fabric.

So to make up the weight I picked the linen jumper on the left, a paler pink, but really insipid, like a bra that's been washed a few too many times. And on the right, a long-sleeved mauve T-shirt.

Dyeing with machine dye couldn't be easier. You just tip the contents of the pouch into the drum, add the clothes, wash at 40°, remove clothes and do a wash with the machine empty.

Points to watch
• Check the fabric. Natural fabrics, eg linen and cotton, take dye well. Synthetics don't. Be aware that stitching may be nylon, hence the contrast stitching on my newly blue T-shirt.
• Check the colour. Pale shades will dye deeper, but not the other way round.
• Don't spill the dye! It's very easy to accidentally sprinkle a little of the powder as you're putting it in the washing machine.
• You need to dry the newly dyed clothes away from the sun.

Read more on Dylon's machine dyes


No comments:

Post a Comment