Wednesday 21 September 2011

Bye bye Bernina...


Today was a sad day: I said goodbye to the sewing machine I've had for over half my life. It was a Bernina model from the 50s or 60s, which I inherited when I moved into the flat of some friends. Back then I had been traumatised about using a sewing machine by our domestic science teacher, who regularly made pupils cry. Whatever day of the week we had needlework, I had a migraine that evening!

My then boyfriend, luckily, hadn't been similarly traumatised, knew how to use a machine, and taught me. And until I got my lovely new machine, as a Christmas present from my current partner, everything I've ever sewn was made on my old Bernina. It was quite limited; despite knobs to the contrary, it could only sew forwards in a straight line. It weighed a ton too. But how many things do you own for half your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment